Time again for my year end meme. I've removed a question or two because it is my blog and I can. If you had a great year, good for you! You fared better than 98% of the rest of the planet! If you had a bad year, take heart, it is over.
1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
Let's see: I learned how to "ride" a bike. Or rather I learned how balance wobbily upon one. I visited Chicago in winter and survived their worst snowstorm by watching Law and Order SVU marathons in the hotel room, I chopped all of my hair off into a pixie cut that I've only ever talked about doing for most of my adult life. I commuted more miles than I ever have between Patchogue and Elwood and Manhattan and Queens and back again. I got into a car accident on a major highway with a Mack truck in my Fiat and lived to tell the tale. I ate a Belgian waffle in Belgium while running down the street to take a Belgian beer tour after which I danced until sunrise with an actual French man actually named Luc. (He was really only missing a jaunty beret and a loaf of bread.) I climbed up a Dutch windmill (in actuality, not in some gross metaphorical way..if that's a thing.) I met more than one person I admire immensely including, but not limited to Win Butler, Gloria Steinem, Caitlin Moran and I "met" John Slattery when he held open the door for me, haha. I saw my little brother get married. All of these are things I'd never done before.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolution this year was simple: let go and take risks. I did that, in spades. And it was pretty great. Next year my plan is to keep on keepin on.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! One of my best friends, Marianne gave birth to Miles and Jessi gave birth to baby Amelia, my cousin Lauren gave birth to Noah.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My beautiful grandmother Marina Castro and I miss her every day.
5. What countries did you visit?
Belgium and the Netherlands.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
X-ray vision, the ability to read thoughts and an unlimited supply of Belgian street waffles.
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 31st, the day my grandmother passed away after a long illness.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing most of my novel and doing social things alone without feeling the least bit self conscious.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not winning the Nobel Peace Prize. I'll always regret it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Amazingly enough nothing. I'm not counting getting more head colds in my life this year, all in the months of October and November.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My tattoo. I love it.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My siblings have been there with me and for me more than ever this year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Donald Trump and that one guy who, after the car accident I was in, looked at me and laughed and went to the big strong man who hit me and asked what happened. Fuck you, guy.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travel, commuting, food.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Books. Traveling. Living in NYC.
16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
It was a late entry but "When We Were Young" by Adele since I have cried each of the handful of times I've listened to it. It is an involuntary reaction. It doesn't hurt that it is a bittersweet song that is tragic and nostalgic and I might start crying again.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? happier
thinner or fatter? thinner
richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I think I did the right amount of things the right amount of times.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about the future. It takes so much time and energy from the present. (Same as last year. Same worry, same regret)
20. Did you fall in love in 2015?
Define love. Normally my years are peppered with brief crushes but nothing major, as though my love life were a Hallmark movie. This year was bit more basic cable.
21. How many one-night stands?
Do I count the orgies? Then 11. If not, then 2, though orgies can get a bit confusing, as I'm sure you're aware.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men, as it has been and ever shall be, world without end, amen. (same as last year)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. Hate is still a waste of time.
24. What was the best book you read?
"The Tsar of Love and Techno" by Anthony Marra. Uncontested champion in my reading year.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I loved, loved, loved Father John Misty's "I Love You Honeybear".
26. What did you want and get?
Productivity and to make strides in the art of self-confidence.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
My film watching was pathetic. I enjoyed "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl". It is the only thing that sticks out at the moment.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
39...time keeps creeping, through the neighborhood...
I spent two days before my birthday getting my first tattoo and it took all day. Well, it took three hours and then my siblings got one too and THAT took all day. Also, it really, really hurt. I also got a little too drunk at my local bar in the company of my friends. It was unique in that I was a year older than million other times I have done this. Maybe in my 40s I'll learn to grow up and go to, I don't know, the opera?
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing. I'm ok with things.
30. What kept you sane?
Working. I worked a ridiculous amount of time this year.
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
Reproductive rights and sexism. Gun control. Racism. Same old shit.
32. Who did you miss?
Old friends who live far away!
33. Who was the best new person you met?
I meet pretty remarkable people every year.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:
It is always, 100% of the time, better to take the risk and be disappointed than to shy away and do nothing. I will always, always prefer rejection from trying than that horrible place I used to live which was called Ifonlyville.
35. What was your dirty secret this year?
That I like that Justin Bieber album.
36. But what species are you, really?
I'm a cat in human clothing. Or rather, Meow meow meow meow meowmeow meowmeow.